8/12/2014

Norwich//England 2014, Part IX

















Norwich, you guys. (Pronounced Norrich, for all of you non-British peoples.) Of all the outings we went on, this one called out to me most. Its streets are welcoming and warm, its cathedral grand and glorious, and its pubs delicious and delightful. I was not ready to leave it, and have already decided that I need to take Hannah there.
The cathedral is ever so beautiful: cavernous corridors leading to many chapels, an organ which towers gloriously over all below it, and an ancient, historical throne. There are courtyards and grand doors. Candelabras, paintings, and an ancient collection of Holy Vessels. I could spend hours roaming its mighty stone arches, and I hope to one day have the opportunity.
We briefly visited a sweet little bookshop (the type that books write about), called the Dormouse. There were books piled upon the floor, crammed into shelves, and piled upon the windowsills. Barely any form of sorting was used, making book hunting a grand adventure for gems in a pile of unappealing romance novels. It was here that I decided Hannah and I would return, for we could have spent hours pouring over its contents, fully encouraged by the Dormouse's owner. He was a very kind man, the type you'd expect would invite you to tea and then spend so much time discussing his favorite books that he'd forget to ever pour it.
We finished up our morning stay in Norwich by eating lunch at the Adam and Eve pub: the oldest pub in town. As cute as it was on the outside, it was even more cozy inside. I got to have my first Yorkshire pudding, and I've been craving one ever since. The other meal that you can see was Jonathan's, which was a Trawlermans Pie (smoked fish medley and prawns topped with creamed potato and cheese). Miranda ate an entire wedge of breaded, deep fried brie cheese, much to the surprise of the other customers. That girl can eat, you guys, especially when it includes brie cheese. We spent a long while relaxing and eating in there, in no hurry to leave. Of course, it kept pouring down rain outside, but I like to pretend that wasn't the only reason we stayed as long as we did.
We headed out of Norwich to Ickworth, which I'll tell you all about some other time. For now I'll leave you with photographs from a lovely city, and hope that picture of Yorkshire pudding makes you as hungry as it has me.
Ciao!

1 comment:

Hannah Mary said...

Oh this is so lovely. I want to go there.

That food in the last pic? That looks like the most beautiful thing.

followers