2/21/2012

It's a Love Story, baby just say yes

After being inspired by Jocee’s I’m coming out posts, I felt the urge to write this post.
There comes a time in every girl’s life where she starts looking at boys differently. And I’m sure it’s the same for boys. (I don’t know anything about the boys though, so I’m going to stay clear of that.) Maybe it’s just that she starts thinking a boy is cute, or starts to think of someone as more than a friend. And that’s right about the time life gets a whole lot more complicated. She thinks twice before she says something to him, for fear of getting it wrong. She acts different around him, and pretty soon, around boys in general. Who is this girl? This girl is you.
I’m not afraid to admit, I’ve liked boys before, and I think some are cute, others sweet, and others hilarious. I’m sure you’ve thought so too, or that you will sooner or later. I’m sure you’ve discovered, as I have, that there is no greater company to be in, then one with a boy. And I don’t mean just a boyfriend, even just guy friends. That sounds totally pathetic, but I really mean it. It’s super hard to explain, but I hope some of you understand. ;) 
I have come to the conclusion that all girls should be nervous when meeting a new boy. That’s how I feel, I can tell you that. And I think that’s a good thing, and I think that because when you’re nervous, that means you’re looking for something. Or forward to something. And when I meet a boy, I’m unknowingly wondering ‘Are we going to end up being friends? Am I going to be dating you in a month? Is this guy going to be anything significant to me?’. I think that’s why I’m nervous, and unsure of what to say when I meet someone new. I think, without knowing it, I’m wondering just that. And realizing that, is going to help me. It will help me be myself around guys, and it will help me understand a little more who to care about, and who to steer clear of. 
I’ve also realized that ‘having a crush’ isn’t really the right term, in my opinion. Because, when we hear that, we think ‘Oh, she thinks he’s cute, she want’s to hang out with him.’ But when I say I have a crush on someone, that’s not what I’d want my friends to read it as. I’m not that girl who thinks boys are cute and therefore flirts away with no real interest in them at all. I’m that girl to whom ‘having a crush’ means discovering you trust that boy more than anyone else, and that you love talking to him, and you want to get to know him better. I’m that girl who doesn’t like boys to be ‘in a relationship’, but who likes guys in the hopes of someday finding a permanent relationship someday. 
I think that this is important for me to realize and remember, because someday, I’m going to be a happily married woman, and I think this will help me understand and help my own daughters, who will have to find this out as well. I’ve read so many books about parents who forget what it was like to be a teenager, and I never, ever, want to be that person. 
This is what I’ve been thinking about lately. And I’m proud of what I accomplished. 

3 comments:

Alyianna said...

Love this post. :) I'm glad you think the same way I do. Thank you!

Jocee said...

you totally redefined the word "crush". thank you for this. really.
and in my opinion, i didn't like the cast for the hunger games at first either. i wanted william moseley to play peeta, and his hair is already blonde, but after doing some serious stalking--research, coughcough, i found them to be pretty good. except for gale. liam hemsworth just irks me.
but anyway, totally off topic. great post :))
-jocee <3

Unknown said...

Just wanted to stop by and see this great post Jocee was talking about. She was right! You really explained well what a 'crush' should mean. I loved this post -- great job!

xoxo,
Jessica @ Diary of a Beautiful Soul

followers