7/06/2013

Star Trek Into Darkness


They look pretty excited, now don't they?

This morning us kids got up, got ready, and then drove to watch Star Trek Into Darkness. We've all been dying to see it and today we finally made it there. I thought I'd write a review for you guys (without spoilers, in case you haven't been able to see it yet), so here goes!


I had no idea what to expect or what the characters were like; this is a whole new universe to me (har de har har har). I'm going to do a bit of a tally up right now, just to state a few things that really stood out to me. 



Captain Kirk (or Jim, for those of us on first name terms) completely unexpectedly became my favorite character. He had wonderful development, great lines, and Chris Pine is rather attractive. I loved 'The Chair', and all of it's inhabitants. ;)




Spock. Spock, Spock, and Spock. To put it simply, he was as amazing as I guessed, and many of the movie's best lines belonged to him. He centered around most of the plot twists (none of which I saw coming) and he was wonderfully truthful.  


Uhara was a really cool character; she didn't seem like the 'We-need-a-female-lead-so-let's-throw-her-in'  puppets that fill many modern movies, and I'm a huge fan of cling on. 



Can I just say that Benedict KILLED it? He was so amazing in this movie. Call me a major fangirl, but he was the perfect Khan, and he made me sob and pity him and want him dead all at the same time. My younger sister Abby had, until this morning, told Hannah and I that although Benedict's voice is extremely attractive, he himself leaves much to be desired. We told her throughout the entire car ride that this movie would change her mind but she was insistant. I was very proud when about 20 minutes into the movie (it was during a scene where some characters are looking at a holograph of Benedict) she leaned over and whispered to me "Okay I give in." She has now joined her sisters' ranks. But I must say that Khan was so different than I had imagined. He wasn't just a mindless killer, like most superheroes. I won't give anything away, but he's a well thought out villain. 


Scotty. Oh lovable, hilarious, Scottish Scotty. What else can I say?


I will admit that I've been looking forward to his character more than anyone else I know, and he did not disappoint in the least. Hannah told me that throughout the first half of the movie she didn't know who he was but she just kept associating him with me, and couldn't figure out why. This makes me very happy, and it isn't hard to imagine why, since Karl Urban has been high on my (rather lengthy) list of celebrity crushes since I was very, very little. Although his character hasn't learned not to swear, (almost all of the bad words in the movie were said by him...) I still loved him and think he had real depth.

So as an overall review, I thought the movie was amazing, and I can't wait to watch the first one, and all of the television shows and old movies. My actual thoughts when the movie finished was 'Where has this fandom been my entire life?' And 'Someone please start it again. Please'. There also were a few trains of thought going down the 'Aaaaaahhhhh Bennnnnnnnedict' direction, but we won't touch down on those.

In honesty this post has only been an excuse to bombard you with pictures of attractive men, and star ships. I would say I'm sorry, but I'm not. This movie was just too good.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Haha. Awesome. I've just never been attracted to the Star Trek craze. I've tried watching the old tv show, but it didn't interest.

followers