4/04/2013

there was a nightingale perched in a hawthorn tree...


"The king sat on his throne, trapped. Not by the otherwise empty room he occupied, nor by the courtiers whose solemn duty it was to keep him from ruling the land properly.  The king was not trapped by the sounds of a merry gathering below where no doubt a dance had sprung up and laughter was frequent. Nor even by the nightingale whose song quietly bid the sun farewell from its perch in the nearby hawthorn tree. No, the king was  trapped inside himself. His old eyes never saw happiness, for there was none left. Not for him."

writing essays for school, working on music pieces for upcoming recitals, attempting to finish anna karenina before it is due at the library, doing dishes and other housework around the house, all of these things have kept me from writing as much on here. I've been trying to dedicate as much of my free time to writing books, so lately my blog hasn't been as full of words as I wish it was. excuses aside, though, I wanted to share with you my favorite paragraph of my book so far. I'm only in the midst of chapter two, so I'm hardly well into this process, but writing this paragraph made me so happy because for once, it described the scene perfectly. moments like that remind me why I'm a writer. and even just thinking about that feeling, that feeling of perfect description and raw emotion, fills me with words and I feel as though I could go on about the subject forever. writing is splendid, and I'd like to see it occur frequently in my future.

love always,
Ellie

No comments:

followers