6/14/2012

Great Aunt Aggie's Claim to Fame // Angel Food Cake

I met my Mom's great aunt Aggie when I was really little, but seeing as she died soon afterwards, I know hardly anything about her. The only thing I do know about her is that she must have been an amazing cook. We have a few of her recipes, including a few pie ones, but my favorite is her angel food cake. Please excuse the pun, but it is heavenly. I've only just learned how to make one, and I thought I'd share with you.

Great Aunt Aggie's Deluxe Angel Food Cake

This is a very delicate cake, so if it doesn't turn out the first time, try, try again. Also, you should NOT use anything except metal and glass while making it. I would also suggest you measure out all of your ingredients beforehand, like I did. 

Ingredients:
1 1/2 C egg whites
1 C granulated sugar
1 C cake flour
1 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp almond extract
1 1/2 C confectioner's sugar
It's much easier to do this if you measure everything out beforehand. Top, left to right: Sugar, cream of tartar, vanilla+almond extract, mixer's bowl with salt in it. Bottom, left to right: Egg whites, flour+powdered sugar. The wax paper helps with the sifting; you sift it all onto the first piece, put the sifter on the second piece, and then pour the flour/sugar mixture into the sifter, and repeat. 

Sift flour and confectioner's sugar together 4 times. Add salt to egg whites and beat until frothy. Add cream of tartar and continue beating until stiff but not dry. Add sugar and flavoring. Hastily add flour/sugar mixture with wire disk. Bake at 375 degrees for 40 minutes.  When it comes out, put it upside down on a beer bottle, and let cool completely. You may leave it like this for up to 3 days, before you need to take it out of the pan and wrap it in SaranWrap.

Mother stuck the cake in the freezer before I could get pictures, so I'll add some when I get some :) 

1 comment:

Becca :) said...

It sounds delish!!! Is that the same cake your family eats at birthdays?? If so, it's super amazing!!

followers